In case you missed the memo, or perhaps I haven't expressed it enough on this here site, I have a vlog on YouTube under the name "AskHeatherG." Well, I have started a challenge to go vegan for 30 days and I am chronicling it there and I would love for you to join me on this journey (click video below). I am currently on Day 7 so there are somethings I can help you with to make your transition seamless. Make sure you Subscribe to my YouTube to get all the info.
In the meantime, here are some pros and cons I have experienced since letting go of meat, dairy, starch and sugar (yes I know, that's more than what's required of a vegan, but hey). Let's get the bad stuff out of the way first.
1. Fatigue- In Days 2 and 3, I was so sleepy I could barely make it home in the evenings. I found myself nodding off at the red lights while driving home, so make sure you are able to get plenty of rest in the beginning.
2. White Tongue- Gross, I know. I have been experiencing some thrush on my tongue. This is normal since my body is ridding itself of candida/ toxins. Still, not a pretty picture. Tongue scraper maybe necessary.
3. Headaches- Well, I expected this one. Since I am not taking in too much sugar, I have limited the amount of caffeine I drink since I like my coffee to be dessert-like. Therefore, my body is going through withdrawals. Only true remedy for this is more rest.
On the brighter side, I have been experiencing benefits too.
1. More Energy- Yes, I know I said I was fatigue, but that was in the first couple days. I am starting to gain more energy now, which is huge for someone who usually needs a solid eight hour sleep.
2. Brighter Skin- It is a very slight change, but nonetheless, a good one. I am feeling like my skin is smoother on my face and definitely more supple.
3. Clear Head- I can think clearly without that brain fog we get mid-day.
4. Great Smelling Skin- So, I will do a video on this (promise), but I stopped using deodorant 2 months ago and I am telling the honest to goodness truth, my armpits actually are beginning to smell sweet... like "yum" sweet... and no, I am not in denial because I actually have randoms do a "sniff test" from time to time to verify my findings. LOL.. Weird? I know!
So there you have have it. Make sure you check my YouTube for more updates and tips as we venture through this together. I hope I have helped someone who may have been on the fence about starting this new lifestyle. It is well worth a good go at it.